Avivagen is developing and commercializing products for livestock feeds to replace antibiotics for growth promotion and to help prevent disease by supporting the animal’s own health defences. The Corporation’s unique, proprietary technology is known as OxC-beta™ (fully-oxidized beta-carotene) technology.
Our mission is to deliver quality products and services to our customers by adopting best practices and continually monitoring industry trends to match and exceed the future expectations of the markets.
Our goal is to offer scientifically proven solutions that can truly benefit humans, food and companion animals by taking advantage of natural physiological mechanisms for maintaining optimal health.
Avivagen Inc. operates in the multi-billion dollar animal and human health markets. The company’s goal is to commercialize a range of product applications from its technology platform with:
- Secured licensing agreements
- Collaborations and alliances with selected industry partners
- The successful launch of pet products in the US, Canada and internationally
- The strengthening of an already sound IP portfolio
Avivagen’s technologies are based on Natural Health Optimizers (“NHOs”). NHOs work with and support the natural systems that exist within the body to strive to maintain optimal health and function, particularly by supporting immune function. Avivagen’s major technology is Fully Oxidized Beta-Carotene (OxC-beta™).
Avivagen’s target NHO markets are
- Human Health and Wellness
- Livestock Health & Productivity Enhancement
- Pet Wellness
The OxC-beta™ platform addresses all three target markets.
Avivagen is a publicly listed biotechnology company trading on the TSX Venture Exchange under the ticker “VIV” and the OTC Pink Market under the ticker “CHEXF”. The company has two R&D operations located in the Industrial Partnership Facilities at the National Research Council of Canada (NRC) in Ottawa (Chemistry), and in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island (Nutriscience). Avivagen is headquartered in Ottawa, Canada and was established August 4th, 2005.
The Avivagen Team
Chairman & Interim CEO
- Extensive experience in capital markets, agriculture and life sciences
- Current Chair, Hybrid Partners and Executive Chair, Top Meadow Investments, Inc.
- Previously Chair of Prometic Life Sciences Inc.
Janusz Daroszewski, PhD
Co-founder & Director, Process Validation
- Co-founded Avivagen after 21 years of work in chemical industry, research institutions and academia.
- Broad background in organic synthetic chemistry.
- Extensive experience in research of biologically active substances.
- Former President and CEO of Solvay Pharma Inc.
- Co-founded a pharmaceutical distribution operation as VP of Kingswood Canada Inc.
- Prior work experience includes 15 years in various positions at Eli Lilly.
Director, Business Development
- Life science executive with over ten years of direct business development, technology transfer, and venture capital experience
- Co-founded Healthy Cow, a biotech for the dairy industry commercializing non-antibiotic and non-hormonal therapies to address mastitis, reproductive, and metabolic ailments
- Helped build OtoSim Inc., a developer of interactive medical simulation devices, from concept-stage to global sales with instillations into leading US military and medical institutions in North America, Europe, Middle East and Asia.
Tracy Gillett, BVSc
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science from the University of Queensland, Australia.
- 10 years experience in companion and mixed animal practice in Australia and the UK
- Worked for Bayer Animal Health, New Zealand prior to position with Avivagen. Gained valuable experience within one of the world’s largest multinational pharmaceutical companies.
Graham Burton, PhD
Chief Scientific Officer
- Co-founded Avivagen after 19 years of biomedical research at the National Research Council of Canada. (NRC)
- At NRC developed the foundation for Avivagen’s oxidized β-carotene technology.
- Internationally known as a leading scientist in vitamin E research.
James Nickerson, PhD
Director, Product Validation
- Joined Avivagen as a senior research biologist and has held various research and management positions during his career with the company.
- Established Avivagen’s biological research facility and has directed the company’s biology research program for the past 10 years.
- Holds graduate degrees and postdoctoral research experience in the fields of molecular biology and physiology.
Chris Boland , CPA, CA, CMA, B.COMM.
Chief Financial Officer
- Completed the CICA Advanced Taxation and Advanced IFRS studies.
- 25 years’ experience in corporate finance, IFRS, SOX, ERM, public reporting, anti-fraud measures and corporate governance.
- Serves on the Board of Directors of CMAO, and previously on the Board of ICAO, CPA of Ontario.
Director, Investor Relations
- B.A. Honours (Economics) from Queen’sUniversity, followed six years later with an MBA (Finance & Marketing) from The Rotman School of Management (University of Toronto).
- 25 years in the investment industry including working on Fixed Income and Foreign Exchange desks (Merrill Lynch Canada, Bankers Trust Canada).
- 15 years as an Institutional Equity Salesperson (Deutsche Bank, Levesque Beaubien) including the position of Head of Institutional Sales at Dundee Securities.